Serum soluble interleukin-2 receptor level and immunophenotype are prognostic factors for patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma

Toshiaki Morito, Megumu Fujihara, Hideki Asaoku, Akira Tari, Yasuharu Sato, Kouichi Ichimura, Takehiro Tanaka, Katsuyoshi Takata, Maiko Tamura, Tadashi Yoshino

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

22 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma is the most common form of non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Although many studies have attempted to identify prognostic factors, most have focused on conventionally treated patients. The influence of anti-CD20 antibody (rituximab) should be considered now. We evaluated the prognostic significance of serum soluble interleukin-2 receptor levels and germinal center B-cell-like or non-germinal center B-cell like subgroups in 80 patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma, who had been treated with rituximab. Serum soluble interleukin-2 receptor levels ranged from 322 to 39900.U/mL (median 1365 U/mL). Sixteen (20%) were germinal center B-cell-like subgroups, and the remainder (80%) non-germinal center B-cell-like. Survival analysis associated lower serum soluble interleukin-2 receptor level and germinal center B-cell-like phenotype with better overall survival (P=0.015), whereas multivariate analysis, including International Prognostic Index factors, revealed that only higher performance status score and higher serum lactate dehydrogenase levels significantly affected survival. However, serum soluble interleukin-2 receptor levels were elevated in patients with higher International Prognostic Index scores as well as in the non-germinal center B-cell-like subgroup. Serum soluble interleukin-2 receptor levels, International Prognostic Index, and subphenotypes were strongly correlated with each other. Our study showed that soluble interleukin-2 receptor is quite useful and may serve as a substitute for the International Prognostic Index, especially for patients undergoing treatment. Moreover, the differentiation between the germinal center B-cell-like and non-germinal center B-cell-like phenotypes is also useful for predicting patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma, even among those treated with rituximab.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)1255-1260
Number of pages6
JournalCancer Science
Volume100
Issue number7
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 2009

Fingerprint

Lymphoma, Large B-Cell, Diffuse
Interleukin-2 Receptors
B-Lymphocytes
Germinal Center
Serum
Phenotype
Survival
Survival Analysis
L-Lactate Dehydrogenase
Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma
Anti-Idiotypic Antibodies
Multivariate Analysis

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Cancer Research
  • Oncology

Cite this

Serum soluble interleukin-2 receptor level and immunophenotype are prognostic factors for patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. / Morito, Toshiaki; Fujihara, Megumu; Asaoku, Hideki; Tari, Akira; Sato, Yasuharu; Ichimura, Kouichi; Tanaka, Takehiro; Takata, Katsuyoshi; Tamura, Maiko; Yoshino, Tadashi.

In: Cancer Science, Vol. 100, No. 7, 2009, p. 1255-1260.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Morito, Toshiaki ; Fujihara, Megumu ; Asaoku, Hideki ; Tari, Akira ; Sato, Yasuharu ; Ichimura, Kouichi ; Tanaka, Takehiro ; Takata, Katsuyoshi ; Tamura, Maiko ; Yoshino, Tadashi. / Serum soluble interleukin-2 receptor level and immunophenotype are prognostic factors for patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. In: Cancer Science. 2009 ; Vol. 100, No. 7. pp. 1255-1260.
@article{2287c1da04954f5cab6234be463e2ece,
title = "Serum soluble interleukin-2 receptor level and immunophenotype are prognostic factors for patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma",
abstract = "Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma is the most common form of non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Although many studies have attempted to identify prognostic factors, most have focused on conventionally treated patients. The influence of anti-CD20 antibody (rituximab) should be considered now. We evaluated the prognostic significance of serum soluble interleukin-2 receptor levels and germinal center B-cell-like or non-germinal center B-cell like subgroups in 80 patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma, who had been treated with rituximab. Serum soluble interleukin-2 receptor levels ranged from 322 to 39900.U/mL (median 1365 U/mL). Sixteen (20{\%}) were germinal center B-cell-like subgroups, and the remainder (80{\%}) non-germinal center B-cell-like. Survival analysis associated lower serum soluble interleukin-2 receptor level and germinal center B-cell-like phenotype with better overall survival (P=0.015), whereas multivariate analysis, including International Prognostic Index factors, revealed that only higher performance status score and higher serum lactate dehydrogenase levels significantly affected survival. However, serum soluble interleukin-2 receptor levels were elevated in patients with higher International Prognostic Index scores as well as in the non-germinal center B-cell-like subgroup. Serum soluble interleukin-2 receptor levels, International Prognostic Index, and subphenotypes were strongly correlated with each other. Our study showed that soluble interleukin-2 receptor is quite useful and may serve as a substitute for the International Prognostic Index, especially for patients undergoing treatment. Moreover, the differentiation between the germinal center B-cell-like and non-germinal center B-cell-like phenotypes is also useful for predicting patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma, even among those treated with rituximab.",
author = "Toshiaki Morito and Megumu Fujihara and Hideki Asaoku and Akira Tari and Yasuharu Sato and Kouichi Ichimura and Takehiro Tanaka and Katsuyoshi Takata and Maiko Tamura and Tadashi Yoshino",
year = "2009",
doi = "10.1111/j.1349-7006.2009.01167.x",
language = "English",
volume = "100",
pages = "1255--1260",
journal = "Cancer Science",
issn = "1347-9032",
publisher = "Wiley-Blackwell",
number = "7",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Serum soluble interleukin-2 receptor level and immunophenotype are prognostic factors for patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma

AU - Morito, Toshiaki

AU - Fujihara, Megumu

AU - Asaoku, Hideki

AU - Tari, Akira

AU - Sato, Yasuharu

AU - Ichimura, Kouichi

AU - Tanaka, Takehiro

AU - Takata, Katsuyoshi

AU - Tamura, Maiko

AU - Yoshino, Tadashi

PY - 2009

Y1 - 2009

N2 - Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma is the most common form of non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Although many studies have attempted to identify prognostic factors, most have focused on conventionally treated patients. The influence of anti-CD20 antibody (rituximab) should be considered now. We evaluated the prognostic significance of serum soluble interleukin-2 receptor levels and germinal center B-cell-like or non-germinal center B-cell like subgroups in 80 patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma, who had been treated with rituximab. Serum soluble interleukin-2 receptor levels ranged from 322 to 39900.U/mL (median 1365 U/mL). Sixteen (20%) were germinal center B-cell-like subgroups, and the remainder (80%) non-germinal center B-cell-like. Survival analysis associated lower serum soluble interleukin-2 receptor level and germinal center B-cell-like phenotype with better overall survival (P=0.015), whereas multivariate analysis, including International Prognostic Index factors, revealed that only higher performance status score and higher serum lactate dehydrogenase levels significantly affected survival. However, serum soluble interleukin-2 receptor levels were elevated in patients with higher International Prognostic Index scores as well as in the non-germinal center B-cell-like subgroup. Serum soluble interleukin-2 receptor levels, International Prognostic Index, and subphenotypes were strongly correlated with each other. Our study showed that soluble interleukin-2 receptor is quite useful and may serve as a substitute for the International Prognostic Index, especially for patients undergoing treatment. Moreover, the differentiation between the germinal center B-cell-like and non-germinal center B-cell-like phenotypes is also useful for predicting patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma, even among those treated with rituximab.

AB - Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma is the most common form of non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Although many studies have attempted to identify prognostic factors, most have focused on conventionally treated patients. The influence of anti-CD20 antibody (rituximab) should be considered now. We evaluated the prognostic significance of serum soluble interleukin-2 receptor levels and germinal center B-cell-like or non-germinal center B-cell like subgroups in 80 patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma, who had been treated with rituximab. Serum soluble interleukin-2 receptor levels ranged from 322 to 39900.U/mL (median 1365 U/mL). Sixteen (20%) were germinal center B-cell-like subgroups, and the remainder (80%) non-germinal center B-cell-like. Survival analysis associated lower serum soluble interleukin-2 receptor level and germinal center B-cell-like phenotype with better overall survival (P=0.015), whereas multivariate analysis, including International Prognostic Index factors, revealed that only higher performance status score and higher serum lactate dehydrogenase levels significantly affected survival. However, serum soluble interleukin-2 receptor levels were elevated in patients with higher International Prognostic Index scores as well as in the non-germinal center B-cell-like subgroup. Serum soluble interleukin-2 receptor levels, International Prognostic Index, and subphenotypes were strongly correlated with each other. Our study showed that soluble interleukin-2 receptor is quite useful and may serve as a substitute for the International Prognostic Index, especially for patients undergoing treatment. Moreover, the differentiation between the germinal center B-cell-like and non-germinal center B-cell-like phenotypes is also useful for predicting patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma, even among those treated with rituximab.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=67449095167&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=67449095167&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1111/j.1349-7006.2009.01167.x

DO - 10.1111/j.1349-7006.2009.01167.x

M3 - Article

VL - 100

SP - 1255

EP - 1260

JO - Cancer Science

JF - Cancer Science

SN - 1347-9032

IS - 7

ER -