The primary toxicity of hydrogen peroxide results from its interaction with catalase, which liberates water and oxygen. We report the case of a 14-year-old Japanese girl with portal venous gas that was caused by oxygen liberated from intentionally ingested hydrogen peroxide. Although she had a past history of atrial septal defect, recovery without cardiac or neurological sequelae was achieved using hyperbaric oxygen therapy. Emergency physicians must be aware of the danger of liberated oxygen due to hydrogen peroxide ingestion.
|Number of pages||3|
|Journal||Acta Medica Okayama|
|Publication status||Published - Jan 1 2018|
- Air embolism
- Breaching agent
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Biochemistry, Genetics and Molecular Biology(all)