Molecular characteristics and physical state of human papilloma virus DNA change with progressing malignancy: Studies in a patient with epidermodysplasia verruciformis

Y. Yabe, Y. Tanimura, Akiko Sakai, T. Hitsumoto, N. Nohara

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

18 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

In order to establish the role of human papillomavirus (HPV) in carcinogenesis of epidermodysplasia verruciformis (EV), the presence, the molecular characteristics and the physical state of HPV DNA in a benign lesion, a primary carcinoma and a metastatic carcinoma developing in the same EV patient were studied and compared. Of the 2 HPV DNAs isolated from benign macular lesions, only one (a subtype of HPV 5) was detected in both primary and metastatic tumors. Only one normal species of viral DNA molecule was detected in the benign lesion, whereas most, if not all, viral DNA molecules present in the carcinoma (both primary and metastatic) were aberrant ones. The major viral DNA molecule in the primary carcinoma was a large HPV DNA with duplicated 40% subgenomic segments, and was present as free episomes. The major viral DNA molecule in the metastatic carcinoma was the 40% subgenomic segment itself, lacking the remaining 60% segment of the viral genome, and was integrated within cellular DNA. Thus, HPV DNA was present in tumors at any stage of malignancy, and its molecular characteristics and physical state changed not only with the development but also with the enhancement of malignancy, consistently conserving its defined 40% subgenomic segment as the predominant viral sequences. Our results suggest that HPV 5 may be actually involved in carcinogenesis in EV patients.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)1022-1028
Number of pages7
JournalInternational Journal of Cancer
Volume43
Issue number6
Publication statusPublished - 1989
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Papillomaviridae
Epidermodysplasia Verruciformis
Viral DNA
DNA
Carcinoma
Neoplasms
Carcinogenesis
Viral Genome
Plasmids

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Cancer Research
  • Oncology

Cite this

Molecular characteristics and physical state of human papilloma virus DNA change with progressing malignancy : Studies in a patient with epidermodysplasia verruciformis. / Yabe, Y.; Tanimura, Y.; Sakai, Akiko; Hitsumoto, T.; Nohara, N.

In: International Journal of Cancer, Vol. 43, No. 6, 1989, p. 1022-1028.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{b64dab36c4144065962288fd3263bfe5,
title = "Molecular characteristics and physical state of human papilloma virus DNA change with progressing malignancy: Studies in a patient with epidermodysplasia verruciformis",
abstract = "In order to establish the role of human papillomavirus (HPV) in carcinogenesis of epidermodysplasia verruciformis (EV), the presence, the molecular characteristics and the physical state of HPV DNA in a benign lesion, a primary carcinoma and a metastatic carcinoma developing in the same EV patient were studied and compared. Of the 2 HPV DNAs isolated from benign macular lesions, only one (a subtype of HPV 5) was detected in both primary and metastatic tumors. Only one normal species of viral DNA molecule was detected in the benign lesion, whereas most, if not all, viral DNA molecules present in the carcinoma (both primary and metastatic) were aberrant ones. The major viral DNA molecule in the primary carcinoma was a large HPV DNA with duplicated 40{\%} subgenomic segments, and was present as free episomes. The major viral DNA molecule in the metastatic carcinoma was the 40{\%} subgenomic segment itself, lacking the remaining 60{\%} segment of the viral genome, and was integrated within cellular DNA. Thus, HPV DNA was present in tumors at any stage of malignancy, and its molecular characteristics and physical state changed not only with the development but also with the enhancement of malignancy, consistently conserving its defined 40{\%} subgenomic segment as the predominant viral sequences. Our results suggest that HPV 5 may be actually involved in carcinogenesis in EV patients.",
author = "Y. Yabe and Y. Tanimura and Akiko Sakai and T. Hitsumoto and N. Nohara",
year = "1989",
language = "English",
volume = "43",
pages = "1022--1028",
journal = "International Journal of Cancer",
issn = "0020-7136",
publisher = "Wiley-Liss Inc.",
number = "6",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Molecular characteristics and physical state of human papilloma virus DNA change with progressing malignancy

T2 - Studies in a patient with epidermodysplasia verruciformis

AU - Yabe, Y.

AU - Tanimura, Y.

AU - Sakai, Akiko

AU - Hitsumoto, T.

AU - Nohara, N.

PY - 1989

Y1 - 1989

N2 - In order to establish the role of human papillomavirus (HPV) in carcinogenesis of epidermodysplasia verruciformis (EV), the presence, the molecular characteristics and the physical state of HPV DNA in a benign lesion, a primary carcinoma and a metastatic carcinoma developing in the same EV patient were studied and compared. Of the 2 HPV DNAs isolated from benign macular lesions, only one (a subtype of HPV 5) was detected in both primary and metastatic tumors. Only one normal species of viral DNA molecule was detected in the benign lesion, whereas most, if not all, viral DNA molecules present in the carcinoma (both primary and metastatic) were aberrant ones. The major viral DNA molecule in the primary carcinoma was a large HPV DNA with duplicated 40% subgenomic segments, and was present as free episomes. The major viral DNA molecule in the metastatic carcinoma was the 40% subgenomic segment itself, lacking the remaining 60% segment of the viral genome, and was integrated within cellular DNA. Thus, HPV DNA was present in tumors at any stage of malignancy, and its molecular characteristics and physical state changed not only with the development but also with the enhancement of malignancy, consistently conserving its defined 40% subgenomic segment as the predominant viral sequences. Our results suggest that HPV 5 may be actually involved in carcinogenesis in EV patients.

AB - In order to establish the role of human papillomavirus (HPV) in carcinogenesis of epidermodysplasia verruciformis (EV), the presence, the molecular characteristics and the physical state of HPV DNA in a benign lesion, a primary carcinoma and a metastatic carcinoma developing in the same EV patient were studied and compared. Of the 2 HPV DNAs isolated from benign macular lesions, only one (a subtype of HPV 5) was detected in both primary and metastatic tumors. Only one normal species of viral DNA molecule was detected in the benign lesion, whereas most, if not all, viral DNA molecules present in the carcinoma (both primary and metastatic) were aberrant ones. The major viral DNA molecule in the primary carcinoma was a large HPV DNA with duplicated 40% subgenomic segments, and was present as free episomes. The major viral DNA molecule in the metastatic carcinoma was the 40% subgenomic segment itself, lacking the remaining 60% segment of the viral genome, and was integrated within cellular DNA. Thus, HPV DNA was present in tumors at any stage of malignancy, and its molecular characteristics and physical state changed not only with the development but also with the enhancement of malignancy, consistently conserving its defined 40% subgenomic segment as the predominant viral sequences. Our results suggest that HPV 5 may be actually involved in carcinogenesis in EV patients.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0024399784&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0024399784&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

C2 - 2543640

AN - SCOPUS:0024399784

VL - 43

SP - 1022

EP - 1028

JO - International Journal of Cancer

JF - International Journal of Cancer

SN - 0020-7136

IS - 6

ER -