Endoscopic 3-branched partial stent-in-stent deployment of metallic stents in high-grade malignant hilar biliary stricture (with videos){A figure is presented}

Hirofumi Kawamoto, Koichiro Tsutsumi, Masakuni Fujii, Ryo Harada, Hironari Kato, Ken Hirao, Naoko Kurihara, Takashi Nakanishi, Osamu Mizuno, Etsuji Ishida, Tsuneyoshi Ogawa, Hirotoshi Fukatsu, Kohsaku Sakaguchi

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

47 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Background: In view of the recent advancement in endoscopic devices for biliary endoscopic intervention, the expert endoscopist can address complex morbidity. However, endoscopic 3-branched partial stent-in-stent deployment of metallic stents (MS) in patients with malignant hilar biliary stricture is technically demanding. Objectives: To evaluate the efficacy and safety of endoscopic 3-branched partial stent-in-stent deployment of MS. Design: Case study. Setting: Gastroenterological Center, Okayama University Hospital. Patients: Nine consecutive patients (mean age 63 years, range 52-84 years, mean follow-up period 5 months) with malignant hilar biliary stricture were enrolled. They had cytologically or histologically proven unresectable biliary-tract carcinoma with hilar biliary stricture type IIIa or IV according to Bismuth's classification. Interventions: Endoscopic 3-branched partial stent-in-stent deployment of MS in hilar biliary strictures by using a JOSTENT SelfX stent. Main Outcome Measurements: The success rate of the procedure, stent patency time, reinterventions, and complications. Results: Endoscopic 3-branched partial stent-in-stent deployment was successfully accomplished in all cases. The MS became obstructed in 3 cases (33%), mean 1.5 months, range 1.4 to 2.7 months. However, no MS obstruction occurred in the other 6 patients (67%), mean 11 months, range 4.7 to 16.4 months. In the obstructed cases, the deployment of 2 or 3 tube stents was completed successfully. One case of cholecystitis was observed as a short-term complication. Limitation: The small number of cases. Conclusions: Endoscopic 3-branched partial stent-in-stent deployment of a JOSTENT SelfX stent was effective in selected patients with high-grade malignant hilar biliary stricture.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)1030-1037
Number of pages8
JournalGastrointestinal Endoscopy
Volume66
Issue number5
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Nov 1 2007

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Radiology Nuclear Medicine and imaging
  • Gastroenterology

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Endoscopic 3-branched partial stent-in-stent deployment of metallic stents in high-grade malignant hilar biliary stricture (with videos){A figure is presented}'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

  • Cite this

    Kawamoto, H., Tsutsumi, K., Fujii, M., Harada, R., Kato, H., Hirao, K., Kurihara, N., Nakanishi, T., Mizuno, O., Ishida, E., Ogawa, T., Fukatsu, H., & Sakaguchi, K. (2007). Endoscopic 3-branched partial stent-in-stent deployment of metallic stents in high-grade malignant hilar biliary stricture (with videos){A figure is presented}. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, 66(5), 1030-1037. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gie.2007.06.055