Emergence patterns of small subtidal arthropods in relation to day/night, tidal, and surface/bottom factors: Investigations in the Boreal sea, Japan (Akkeshi, Hokkaido)

Masayuki Saigusa, Kazushi Oishi, Akihiro Ikumoto, Hiroshi Iwasaki, Michihiro Terajima

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

12 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

The emergence of small arthropods was studied in the boreal sea, Japan (Akkeshi, Hokkaido). In the shallow subtidal zone, two impeller pumps were set in the surface and bottom waters. The pumps ran continuously for 25 days (22 August-16 September, 1998), and invertebrates were sampled using a nylon net (300 to 500 μm in mesh size). The small arthropods collected with the net belonged to 16 orders comprising about 60 taxa. In the dominant 23 taxa, a two-way ANOVA was applied to determine whether there was any significant difference in abundance between day and night and between surface and bottom. While emergence of 15 taxa (65%) was significantly different with regard to the day/night factor, that of the other 8 taxa (35%) was not. As to the difference between the two depths, the distribution of 15 taxa (65%) was significantly different. Furthermore, in 25 taxa for which over 100 specimens were collected in each of the two depths of water, emergence patterns were examined with regard to the synchrony with day/night and tidal cycles. There were various nocturnal patterns, and the strength of the synchrony with the day/night cycle was different for each species or group. Within the same taxa, nocturnal patterns were more clearly manifested in the surface water than in the bottom water. A tidal rhythm of emergence was only seen in zoeas of shrimp. Variations of the emergence patterns of benthic crustaceans are accounted for by a hypothesis that the frequency of swimming during day versus at night is different in each species. On the other hand, the emergence patterns of some zooplankton reflect by the daily rhythm of vertical migration or dispersal in the water column.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)295-310
Number of pages16
JournalJournal of Oceanography
Volume56
Issue number3
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Jun 2000

Fingerprint

arthropod
synchrony
bottom water
pump
surface water
mesh size
tidal cycle
vertical migration
crustacean
sea
zooplankton
water column
invertebrate
water

Keywords

  • Daily (=diel) rhythm
  • Day/night
  • Dispersal
  • Emergence pattern
  • Hokkaido (Akkeshi)
  • Small arthropods
  • Surface/bottom
  • Swimming activity

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Oceanography

Cite this

Emergence patterns of small subtidal arthropods in relation to day/night, tidal, and surface/bottom factors : Investigations in the Boreal sea, Japan (Akkeshi, Hokkaido). / Saigusa, Masayuki; Oishi, Kazushi; Ikumoto, Akihiro; Iwasaki, Hiroshi; Terajima, Michihiro.

In: Journal of Oceanography, Vol. 56, No. 3, 06.2000, p. 295-310.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Saigusa, Masayuki ; Oishi, Kazushi ; Ikumoto, Akihiro ; Iwasaki, Hiroshi ; Terajima, Michihiro. / Emergence patterns of small subtidal arthropods in relation to day/night, tidal, and surface/bottom factors : Investigations in the Boreal sea, Japan (Akkeshi, Hokkaido). In: Journal of Oceanography. 2000 ; Vol. 56, No. 3. pp. 295-310.
@article{2b3f26f305a64dd1bce0320eb32a302c,
title = "Emergence patterns of small subtidal arthropods in relation to day/night, tidal, and surface/bottom factors: Investigations in the Boreal sea, Japan (Akkeshi, Hokkaido)",
abstract = "The emergence of small arthropods was studied in the boreal sea, Japan (Akkeshi, Hokkaido). In the shallow subtidal zone, two impeller pumps were set in the surface and bottom waters. The pumps ran continuously for 25 days (22 August-16 September, 1998), and invertebrates were sampled using a nylon net (300 to 500 μm in mesh size). The small arthropods collected with the net belonged to 16 orders comprising about 60 taxa. In the dominant 23 taxa, a two-way ANOVA was applied to determine whether there was any significant difference in abundance between day and night and between surface and bottom. While emergence of 15 taxa (65{\%}) was significantly different with regard to the day/night factor, that of the other 8 taxa (35{\%}) was not. As to the difference between the two depths, the distribution of 15 taxa (65{\%}) was significantly different. Furthermore, in 25 taxa for which over 100 specimens were collected in each of the two depths of water, emergence patterns were examined with regard to the synchrony with day/night and tidal cycles. There were various nocturnal patterns, and the strength of the synchrony with the day/night cycle was different for each species or group. Within the same taxa, nocturnal patterns were more clearly manifested in the surface water than in the bottom water. A tidal rhythm of emergence was only seen in zoeas of shrimp. Variations of the emergence patterns of benthic crustaceans are accounted for by a hypothesis that the frequency of swimming during day versus at night is different in each species. On the other hand, the emergence patterns of some zooplankton reflect by the daily rhythm of vertical migration or dispersal in the water column.",
keywords = "Daily (=diel) rhythm, Day/night, Dispersal, Emergence pattern, Hokkaido (Akkeshi), Small arthropods, Surface/bottom, Swimming activity",
author = "Masayuki Saigusa and Kazushi Oishi and Akihiro Ikumoto and Hiroshi Iwasaki and Michihiro Terajima",
year = "2000",
month = "6",
doi = "10.1023/A:1011103700784",
language = "English",
volume = "56",
pages = "295--310",
journal = "Journal of Oceanography",
issn = "0916-8370",
publisher = "Springer Netherlands",
number = "3",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Emergence patterns of small subtidal arthropods in relation to day/night, tidal, and surface/bottom factors

T2 - Investigations in the Boreal sea, Japan (Akkeshi, Hokkaido)

AU - Saigusa, Masayuki

AU - Oishi, Kazushi

AU - Ikumoto, Akihiro

AU - Iwasaki, Hiroshi

AU - Terajima, Michihiro

PY - 2000/6

Y1 - 2000/6

N2 - The emergence of small arthropods was studied in the boreal sea, Japan (Akkeshi, Hokkaido). In the shallow subtidal zone, two impeller pumps were set in the surface and bottom waters. The pumps ran continuously for 25 days (22 August-16 September, 1998), and invertebrates were sampled using a nylon net (300 to 500 μm in mesh size). The small arthropods collected with the net belonged to 16 orders comprising about 60 taxa. In the dominant 23 taxa, a two-way ANOVA was applied to determine whether there was any significant difference in abundance between day and night and between surface and bottom. While emergence of 15 taxa (65%) was significantly different with regard to the day/night factor, that of the other 8 taxa (35%) was not. As to the difference between the two depths, the distribution of 15 taxa (65%) was significantly different. Furthermore, in 25 taxa for which over 100 specimens were collected in each of the two depths of water, emergence patterns were examined with regard to the synchrony with day/night and tidal cycles. There were various nocturnal patterns, and the strength of the synchrony with the day/night cycle was different for each species or group. Within the same taxa, nocturnal patterns were more clearly manifested in the surface water than in the bottom water. A tidal rhythm of emergence was only seen in zoeas of shrimp. Variations of the emergence patterns of benthic crustaceans are accounted for by a hypothesis that the frequency of swimming during day versus at night is different in each species. On the other hand, the emergence patterns of some zooplankton reflect by the daily rhythm of vertical migration or dispersal in the water column.

AB - The emergence of small arthropods was studied in the boreal sea, Japan (Akkeshi, Hokkaido). In the shallow subtidal zone, two impeller pumps were set in the surface and bottom waters. The pumps ran continuously for 25 days (22 August-16 September, 1998), and invertebrates were sampled using a nylon net (300 to 500 μm in mesh size). The small arthropods collected with the net belonged to 16 orders comprising about 60 taxa. In the dominant 23 taxa, a two-way ANOVA was applied to determine whether there was any significant difference in abundance between day and night and between surface and bottom. While emergence of 15 taxa (65%) was significantly different with regard to the day/night factor, that of the other 8 taxa (35%) was not. As to the difference between the two depths, the distribution of 15 taxa (65%) was significantly different. Furthermore, in 25 taxa for which over 100 specimens were collected in each of the two depths of water, emergence patterns were examined with regard to the synchrony with day/night and tidal cycles. There were various nocturnal patterns, and the strength of the synchrony with the day/night cycle was different for each species or group. Within the same taxa, nocturnal patterns were more clearly manifested in the surface water than in the bottom water. A tidal rhythm of emergence was only seen in zoeas of shrimp. Variations of the emergence patterns of benthic crustaceans are accounted for by a hypothesis that the frequency of swimming during day versus at night is different in each species. On the other hand, the emergence patterns of some zooplankton reflect by the daily rhythm of vertical migration or dispersal in the water column.

KW - Daily (=diel) rhythm

KW - Day/night

KW - Dispersal

KW - Emergence pattern

KW - Hokkaido (Akkeshi)

KW - Small arthropods

KW - Surface/bottom

KW - Swimming activity

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0033933775&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0033933775&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1023/A:1011103700784

DO - 10.1023/A:1011103700784

M3 - Article

AN - SCOPUS:0033933775

VL - 56

SP - 295

EP - 310

JO - Journal of Oceanography

JF - Journal of Oceanography

SN - 0916-8370

IS - 3

ER -