Effect of successful late reperfusion by primary coronary angioplasty on mechanical complications of acute myocardial infarction

Daisaku Nakatani, Hiroshi Sato, Kunihiro Kinjo, hiroya Mizuno, Eiji Hishida, Atsushi Hirayama, Masayoshi Mishima, Hiroshi Itoh, Yasushi Matsumura, Masatsugu Hori

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

3 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

It has been suggested that early treatment decreases, but late treatment increases, the risk of mechanical complications for a thrombolytic strategy. However, few studies have evaluated whether late reperfusion by primary coronary angioplasty decreases the risk of mechanical complications. A total of 2,209 patients with acute myocardial infarction treated with primary coronary angioplasty within 24 hr after the onset of symptoms were divided into three groups: early reperfusion (ER; 12 hr, n = 219), and failed reperfusion (RF; n = 343). We evaluated the incidence, risk ratio, and predictors of mechanical complication. The overall incidence of mechanical complications was 2.0%. The incidence of mechanical complications was highest in the FR group (ER 1.4%, LR 1.8%, FR 5.0%, p - 70 years (odds ratio 3.68, 95% CI 1.56-8.64, p <0.01), Killip class >- II (odds ratio 3.73, 95% CI 1.52-9.12, p >- 0.01), absence of collateral vessels (odds ratio 4.09, 95% CI 1.17-14.26, p = 0.03), and FR (odds ratio 2.68, 95% CI 1.01-6.61, p = 0.03). In conclusion, successful late reperfusion by primary coronary angioplasty is associated with the reduced risk of mechanical complications in patients with acute myocardial infarction.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)94-95
Number of pages2
JournalJournal of Cardiology
Volume43
Issue number2
Publication statusPublished - Feb 2004
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Myocardial Reperfusion
Angioplasty
Odds Ratio
Myocardial Infarction
Reperfusion
Incidence
Therapeutics

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Cardiology and Cardiovascular Medicine

Cite this

Nakatani, D., Sato, H., Kinjo, K., Mizuno, H., Hishida, E., Hirayama, A., ... Hori, M. (2004). Effect of successful late reperfusion by primary coronary angioplasty on mechanical complications of acute myocardial infarction. Journal of Cardiology, 43(2), 94-95.

Effect of successful late reperfusion by primary coronary angioplasty on mechanical complications of acute myocardial infarction. / Nakatani, Daisaku; Sato, Hiroshi; Kinjo, Kunihiro; Mizuno, hiroya; Hishida, Eiji; Hirayama, Atsushi; Mishima, Masayoshi; Itoh, Hiroshi; Matsumura, Yasushi; Hori, Masatsugu.

In: Journal of Cardiology, Vol. 43, No. 2, 02.2004, p. 94-95.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Nakatani, D, Sato, H, Kinjo, K, Mizuno, H, Hishida, E, Hirayama, A, Mishima, M, Itoh, H, Matsumura, Y & Hori, M 2004, 'Effect of successful late reperfusion by primary coronary angioplasty on mechanical complications of acute myocardial infarction', Journal of Cardiology, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 94-95.
Nakatani, Daisaku ; Sato, Hiroshi ; Kinjo, Kunihiro ; Mizuno, hiroya ; Hishida, Eiji ; Hirayama, Atsushi ; Mishima, Masayoshi ; Itoh, Hiroshi ; Matsumura, Yasushi ; Hori, Masatsugu. / Effect of successful late reperfusion by primary coronary angioplasty on mechanical complications of acute myocardial infarction. In: Journal of Cardiology. 2004 ; Vol. 43, No. 2. pp. 94-95.
@article{0e390ab78496430c8b8e7bbe39cdb7ae,
title = "Effect of successful late reperfusion by primary coronary angioplasty on mechanical complications of acute myocardial infarction",
abstract = "It has been suggested that early treatment decreases, but late treatment increases, the risk of mechanical complications for a thrombolytic strategy. However, few studies have evaluated whether late reperfusion by primary coronary angioplasty decreases the risk of mechanical complications. A total of 2,209 patients with acute myocardial infarction treated with primary coronary angioplasty within 24 hr after the onset of symptoms were divided into three groups: early reperfusion (ER; 12 hr, n = 219), and failed reperfusion (RF; n = 343). We evaluated the incidence, risk ratio, and predictors of mechanical complication. The overall incidence of mechanical complications was 2.0{\%}. The incidence of mechanical complications was highest in the FR group (ER 1.4{\%}, LR 1.8{\%}, FR 5.0{\%}, p - 70 years (odds ratio 3.68, 95{\%} CI 1.56-8.64, p <0.01), Killip class >- II (odds ratio 3.73, 95{\%} CI 1.52-9.12, p >- 0.01), absence of collateral vessels (odds ratio 4.09, 95{\%} CI 1.17-14.26, p = 0.03), and FR (odds ratio 2.68, 95{\%} CI 1.01-6.61, p = 0.03). In conclusion, successful late reperfusion by primary coronary angioplasty is associated with the reduced risk of mechanical complications in patients with acute myocardial infarction.",
author = "Daisaku Nakatani and Hiroshi Sato and Kunihiro Kinjo and hiroya Mizuno and Eiji Hishida and Atsushi Hirayama and Masayoshi Mishima and Hiroshi Itoh and Yasushi Matsumura and Masatsugu Hori",
year = "2004",
month = "2",
language = "English",
volume = "43",
pages = "94--95",
journal = "Journal of cardiography. Supplement",
issn = "0914-5087",
publisher = "Japanese College of Cardiology (Nippon-Sinzobyo-Gakkai)",
number = "2",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Effect of successful late reperfusion by primary coronary angioplasty on mechanical complications of acute myocardial infarction

AU - Nakatani, Daisaku

AU - Sato, Hiroshi

AU - Kinjo, Kunihiro

AU - Mizuno, hiroya

AU - Hishida, Eiji

AU - Hirayama, Atsushi

AU - Mishima, Masayoshi

AU - Itoh, Hiroshi

AU - Matsumura, Yasushi

AU - Hori, Masatsugu

PY - 2004/2

Y1 - 2004/2

N2 - It has been suggested that early treatment decreases, but late treatment increases, the risk of mechanical complications for a thrombolytic strategy. However, few studies have evaluated whether late reperfusion by primary coronary angioplasty decreases the risk of mechanical complications. A total of 2,209 patients with acute myocardial infarction treated with primary coronary angioplasty within 24 hr after the onset of symptoms were divided into three groups: early reperfusion (ER; 12 hr, n = 219), and failed reperfusion (RF; n = 343). We evaluated the incidence, risk ratio, and predictors of mechanical complication. The overall incidence of mechanical complications was 2.0%. The incidence of mechanical complications was highest in the FR group (ER 1.4%, LR 1.8%, FR 5.0%, p - 70 years (odds ratio 3.68, 95% CI 1.56-8.64, p <0.01), Killip class >- II (odds ratio 3.73, 95% CI 1.52-9.12, p >- 0.01), absence of collateral vessels (odds ratio 4.09, 95% CI 1.17-14.26, p = 0.03), and FR (odds ratio 2.68, 95% CI 1.01-6.61, p = 0.03). In conclusion, successful late reperfusion by primary coronary angioplasty is associated with the reduced risk of mechanical complications in patients with acute myocardial infarction.

AB - It has been suggested that early treatment decreases, but late treatment increases, the risk of mechanical complications for a thrombolytic strategy. However, few studies have evaluated whether late reperfusion by primary coronary angioplasty decreases the risk of mechanical complications. A total of 2,209 patients with acute myocardial infarction treated with primary coronary angioplasty within 24 hr after the onset of symptoms were divided into three groups: early reperfusion (ER; 12 hr, n = 219), and failed reperfusion (RF; n = 343). We evaluated the incidence, risk ratio, and predictors of mechanical complication. The overall incidence of mechanical complications was 2.0%. The incidence of mechanical complications was highest in the FR group (ER 1.4%, LR 1.8%, FR 5.0%, p - 70 years (odds ratio 3.68, 95% CI 1.56-8.64, p <0.01), Killip class >- II (odds ratio 3.73, 95% CI 1.52-9.12, p >- 0.01), absence of collateral vessels (odds ratio 4.09, 95% CI 1.17-14.26, p = 0.03), and FR (odds ratio 2.68, 95% CI 1.01-6.61, p = 0.03). In conclusion, successful late reperfusion by primary coronary angioplasty is associated with the reduced risk of mechanical complications in patients with acute myocardial infarction.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=2142813756&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=2142813756&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

C2 - 15049279

AN - SCOPUS:2142813756

VL - 43

SP - 94

EP - 95

JO - Journal of cardiography. Supplement

JF - Journal of cardiography. Supplement

SN - 0914-5087

IS - 2

ER -